Monday, November 05, 2012

I hit the Jackpot Today!

I scored the jackpot today!!  A Lego Magazine came in the mail and Coby freaked out - he was so excited!  You would have thought he won the lottery!



Here's how this played out. 

Me:  Oh honey, you have to earn that magazine. 
Coby:  Whaaaat?!?!  That's cheap, Mom (as he STOMPS across the house).  What do I HAVE to do to earn it?  Please do not say I have to do ALL my homework!
Me:  Well, first of all, when you say "that's cheap, Mom", I find that very disrespectful.  And second of all, stomping across the house, well now THAT really makes me want to give you the magazine.  Third of all, you are lucky I don't say that you have to do ALL your homework every day this week before you can earn it. 
Coby:  OK, I'm sorry, Mom...I didn't mean to be disrespectful.  What do I have to do to earn it?
Me:  As a matter of fact, you DO have to do ALL your homework (all my friends out there - you knew that was coming, didn't you?!?!  I mean, did he walk right into that one or what??), you have to do ALL your chores and THEN.... I will still decide if you have earned it based on the aforementioned AND your *attitude*.
Coby:  Sigh....OK.  I will do all my homework and I will do all my chores and I promise to have a good attitude!

Result:  Homework done?  Check.  Chores done?  Check.  AMAZING attitude?  Check!  As a matter of fact, he finished all his homework and chores before dinner (note this is a record) and then asked if he could now have his magazine.  When I said, "No, we need to eat dinner first and then we will see how your attitude is", he said, "OK, no problem.  As a matter of fact, I am going to go ahead and do another History Sheet while I am waiting!"  Whaaat?!?!  Where did my son go?  Did he just volunteer to do MORE homework??  Then, he also OFFERED to help me clean up the kitchen??

Can Lego send my son a magazine in the mail EVERY DAY?

No comments:

Post a Comment