Monday, December 17, 2012

Is the waiting over yet?

I know it seems like I lack blogging much but it seems that there is so much downtime and waiting, that there isn't much to blog about.  I'm sure everyone doesn't care too much what I have for dinner every night, what I get when I go to the supermarket or what time I wake up in the morning!  I do short posts on Facebook, so if you are not following us on FB, you may want to check it out

We had our court date on 12/12/12.  Can you believe that?  Surely we will never forget the date we had court!  And in God's perfect timing, the date our adoption is decreed will be Christmas Day!  Again, a date we will not soon forget!

Court was a little intimidating.  There were three seats up on the "throne" that appeared to be for a King and his two advisors!  The judge sat in the middle and a "juror" sat on each side of him.  Then, off to the left, sat a representative from the local SDA, a "prosecutor" and a representative from the courts.  Also present was the director from the orphanage.

Vil'nans'k Courtroom - the "cage" on the right is where criminals sit during trial

When it was time for the director of the orphanage to speak, she said that she was pleased for us to adopt Lilya and Alex.  The kids have behaved better after coming back from hosting in America and she was surprised at how fast we came back for the kids!  

We were asked questions about why we wanted to adopt the kids, do we have enough space in our home for them, do we make enough money to support two more children, do we have any other children at home, etc.  We really weren't taken off guard by any of the questions.

Court lasted about one hour and we did have one laugh during the court session.  The judge called Danny up first and asked him a bunch of questions.  Then, he told Danny to sit down and called me up.  The first question he asked me was, "Do you know that man?" as he pointed to Danny.  Being a little on the sarcastic side, I immediately responded with, "Nope, I sure don't."  Then realized maybe that wasn't a good idea and said that I was just joking.  But thankfully everyone laughed - including the judge!  Whew!!!

The judge and the two jurors left the courtroom to "decide our case" and came back about 15 minutes later to declare that they were approving our adoption.  Glad my sarcasm didn't deter them from approving!

The next step is critically important.  It is so important, it is almost hard for me to put into words what it is.  So, I'll do my best and hopefully everyone reading will clearly understand.  Are you ready?  The next step is to wait!  Just wait.  Wait for 10 long days!  Actually, our total wait is 13 days because Sunday's don't count, the day of court doesn't count and the decree doesn't happen until day 11.  So, we just wait.  Waiting is the hardest part.  Especially when I don't have my best friend by my side.  Danny and Coby left on 12/13/12 at 3:00pm and being here by myself is so hard!!  I am hoping to go home by January 4th and if that happens, then I will be apart from Danny and Coby for 21 days.  I truly don't know how military wives do it.  And wives whose husbands work out of town and only come home on weekends.  Danny is my very best friend.  He is a part of me.  We are one.  Being without him is like missing half of myself!!!

Me and my best friend just a few hours before he left to go home




Since I am now here alone, I have kept busy Skyping with Danny.  A lot.  And I have also had the privilege to spend time with Pastor John and his lovely wife, Ev.  They are long term missionaries from Canada who have started a church in Zaporozhye and have also started a Trade School for aging out Orphans.   We have shared a few meals together and we will be spending Christmas Day with them.  It is so nice to be around them.  They are just lovely people and really doing great work for the Lord here.  They have been here 5 years and plan to be here another 5 years.
 
This is Pastor John and myself

This is Pastor John's lovely wife, Ev and myself
 Please check out what they are doing and if you feel led to help orphans but can't adopt, consider donating to their ministry.  Their ministry is New Hope Center.  Alex White is also a missionary here with New Hope Center and I will be having dinner with him and his fiance this coming week.  I might even meet with up another adoptive family adopting out of Kherson.  Before Danny left, we were able to have a meal with another family adopting out of Vil'nans'k and hopefully they will be back before I leave, so that I can see them again!

I have also enjoyed the food here in Ukraine.  I absolutely love the food here!  Here are some pictures from a restaurant that was recommended to us called Sir Lancelot.  The food was phenomenal!!!  The only downfall - no English Menu!!  So, Pastor John translated it for me.  However, I won't be able to go by myself unless I order the exact same thing.  Which wouldn't be so bad because it was delicious but I'd love to try something else since this was so good!

Ukrainian salad with cucumbers, tomatoes and red peppers with dill and olive oil.  Probably the best I've had since I've been here.  It even had just a smidgen of romaine lettuce - very rare for Ukrainian salads to have any lettuce

The rolled up things on the left was chicken breast rolled up, filled with cheese and lightly breaded.  The two dollops on each side of the dill was a baked potato smothered in cheese.  This was superb!!!!!  Beautiful presentation, perfect portions and tasted delicious!!!! 










2 comments:

  1. We truly understand about the downtime. We had a hard time with the constant waiting as well. We visited our children, at the summer camp, from about 10-4, everyday. It is funny you say that everyone doesn't care about what you have for dinner. I thought the same thing after my wife went home, but I posted it anyway - just to have fun.

    Wow! What a court date? Our court date was 4 July 12. Now we can celebrate their independence and our country's at the same time. How awesome is that?

    Our court room was the same way. Both my wife and I were nervous wrecks from the time we woke up until about three to four hours after court. It was not as bad as we were expecting, but seeing the cage was a little freaky.

    We are glad everything is going well. When will you be heading home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully we will be heading home by the end of the week!

      Delete