Monday, December 31, 2012

Our Journey from Decree Day to New Year's Eve

We have had a crazy and amazing journey in Ukraine and while I want to be able to share every detail, I won't bore you.  I will share some of the highlights over the past week since the adoption was decreed.

  • Christmas Day - our facilitator went to the court and picked up our adoption decree.  Then he went to the tax office and applied to have their "tax ID" (kinda like their government ID) changed to their new names.  Then he went to the registration office and applied for their new birth certificates. Around 5:30pm, we went to the registration office and picked up their new birth certificates.  The lady was so sweet!  She talked to the kids and gave them a big hug!  Their new birth certificates list their new names and list us as their parents!!  How cool is that!
  • Christmas Evening - we went to Pastor John and his wife Ev's home for dinner.  There were several other families there and it was nice to be able to enjoy a traditional Christmas Dinner and speak English with other folks!  
 
  • December 26 - Our facilitator spent part of the day turning in documents and then picked us up in the afternoon so that we could go to the Passport Office and apply for passports.  We were told it can take up to 7 business days (a total of 13 days due to Ukrainian Holidays) - so we may not get them until January 8th.  However, he did talk to them and they said "they would try their best to get them as soon as possible".  Well - they sure did!  The passports were issued the next day!!!  People pay $700 PER PASSPORT to have them done the next day.  We did not have to pay anything extra!  Praise the Good Lord!!  That night, Tetyana, the children's neighbor, came to say goodbye.  It was a little emotional because everyone knew that this might be the last time she ever sees these kids in person again.  I definitely cried (and for those who know me well, know this is normal) because just knowing how much she loves these kids melts my heart.
Lilya and Alex giving Tetyana a kiss goodbye
 
Tetyana walking back to the bus stop.  She kept turning around and waving goodbye.  She knows she will probably never see these kids again, yet she encouraged them to come to America so they can have a family.  That's unconditional love. 

  • December 27 - We went and picked up the inspector from the local SDA office (State Department of Adoptions) and went to the orphanage to sign the kids out.  However, on our way to the orphanage, our facilitator decided to stop by the bank first to drop off the paperwork so that we could close out their bank account and take whatever money they had out of the account.  When we got to the bank, there was a line.  So, he got out of the car to find out why - the bank wasn't open yet.  Hmmmm...it's 9:40 in the morning and they aren't open yet?  I think the bank makes their own hours!  So, we headed to the orphanage.  The kids said goodbye to their friends and we signed them out of the orphanage.  Alex had one friend that he said goodbye to, his name is Jenya and Lilya had one friend that she said goodbye to, her name is Nastya.  I will share the videos on another blog. The kids had some photo albums and personal items they wanted to get but the door to the bedroom was locked and the teachers would not be in until 2pm.  It was 10am.  We had to wait 4 hours.  Our facilitator said "no problem, we will leave and another family can bring it home with them".  Ummmm.....nope!  First of all, that is not cool to ask another family to bring our kid's items home.  I have no idea how much stuff they have and I am not going to make it someone else's responsibility.  Second of all, what if that family doesn't get it or doesn't get all of it?  So, I told him we would wait.  And we did.  We went to the bank, went and got tea and then got something to eat.  When we got back to the orphanage, he went and talked to the director and she had one of the girls from the orphanage come with us as we drove all through town from house to house trying to get the keys from the teachers!  Haha!  I asked him why the director didn't just call the teachers and have the teachers come unlock the rooms but he said "it just doesn't work that way".  And the director does not have the keys to the rooms because these are the teachers personal rooms.  Huh?!?  Don't the kids sleep in these rooms?  Very strange!  But when it was all said and done, the kids got their belongings and we drove 7 hours from Zaporozhye to Kiev.  
Alex and his sweet friend Jenya

Lilya and her friend Nastya

  • December 28 - We spent last night and tonight in one flat and then had to move to another flat.  The one we were in was only available for two days.  They were unable to find us a flat that we could stay in the entire time we were here....but that is OK!  Our facilitator originally told us that a flat for the night of 12/31, 1/1 and 1/2 would be $150/night!  Switching flats allowed us to only pay $65/night.  So, switch we did.  We spent the afternoon walking around Kiev.  It is absolutely gorgeous here once it is dark (and it gets dark by 4pm) because the main street is all lit up!  Buildings are lit up and they have a huge "New Year's Tree" in the main square.  We ate and walked around, looking at all the beautiful lights.  We tried to find an ice cream stand but to my dismay I think maybe they believe it is too cold for ice cream.  Phooey!  So, we opted for McD's Ice Cream!  Well, the kids had ice cream and I had coffee.  On our way to McD's, we saw a carrousel.  I never in a million years would have thought that my 11 and 13 year old children would think it is "cool" to ride a carrousel but they did!!!  Yay!!!!  I almost sat there and cried as my children rode the carrousel and grinned from ear to ear, waving at me each time they passed me.  At that moment, I saw two little children - something they really haven't had a chance to be!  I was able to allow them to do something that they probably never did in their entire lives!  Ride a carrousel.  A carrousel.  Did you catch that?  If not, you may want to re-read this paragraph again.  
This is Lilya on the horse in the carrousel.  This was the best photo I could get due to it being dark and there was a plastic cover around the carrousel since it was cold.

A picture of the Huge Post Office in Kiev - all lit up


The "New Year's Tree" in the main square of downtown Kiev

My McD's Iced Coffee

 
  • December 29 -  We moved flats again.  This time, we were only staying one night.  It was either that or be without a flat for 6 hours.  We opted to move and stay one night.  We did not even open the suitcases!  We slept in our clothes and just had our toothbrushes out so we could at least brush our teeth.  Had we not brushed our teeth, I think the neighbors would have knocked on our door and offered us a mint!!  Then, I met an American Father and his two adoptive Ukrainian Treasures and we had lunch together.  It was nice to be able to speak English but mostly just to share adoptive stories.  Actually - just to hear his story was what encouraged me!  He is a father of 12, 7 of which are Ukrainian girls!  He shared his joys and his struggles and gave me some pointers.  His girls are absolutely gorgeous - he will be in trouble in a few years!  :)  During lunch, I received a call from my facilitator and he said, "I have some good news for you.  Your kid's passports are ready and they will be in Kiev tomorrow."  Whaaat?!?!  They are ready already?!?!  Wow!!!!!  I did a happy dance, right there in that Ukrainian restaurant and I didn't care who was watching!!!!  
 
  • December 30 - Today we walked around Kiev a bit.  We ate lunch at a Ukrainian buffet, went to the Roshen Chocolate Factory and then went to the supermarket.  I was really surprised at what I bought and how much it was......$47!  Yikes!!

 
  • December 31 - Today I called the US Embassy to make our first appointment.  I knew that if I could get an appointment today, I would be able to get the kid's medicals done on Wednesday and go back to the Embassy Wednesday Afternoon for their Visas so that we could fly out on Thursday.  My facilitator had already emailed asking for an appointment but she hadn't heard back yet.  When I called, the lady told me that I had to email in order to make an appointment because they don't make appointments over the phone.  I said, "No problem.  I will be happy to send an email.  How long does it take to get an appointment once I send the email?"  She said that it shouldn't take too long and proceeded to ask when I wanted to come in.  I told her that I was hoping to come today.  This was her response, "Oh OK.  We can get you in today.  Here is the email address.....but you know what, since today is a short day and we are closed tomorrow, I will go ahead and make an exception and just schedule your appointment over the phone".  Yay!!!!  Praise the Good Lord!!!  I was at the Embassy by 10:30 am and everyone was nice.  However, I was surprised that at the US EMBASSY, they are not Americans!  It was very easy and now I have an appointment on Wednesday in order to pick up their Visas.  I will just have to make sure I do their medicals on Wednesday before my appointment.  Danny booked our flight for Thursday and we were VERY Lucky to get a flight out!!!  First of all, the cost was almost $3,000 for the three of us compared to only $1800 for Danny, Coby and I to fly here.  Second of all, there were not three seats available on any Lufthansa flight over the ocean.  Yikes!  And the kids are not allowed to stay over night in any European Country, so any of those options are out!  We could fly "upgraded coach" and only pay $3,800 per ticket.  Not First Class.  Not Business Class.  Upgraded Coach.  Is that like an Oxymoron or what?   Hmmmm....let me think about that for a minute.  Ok, I thought about it - nope!!!  Oh yeah and just for giggles - how much IS Business Class?  $5,800 per ticket!!  Who in the world would pay that kind of money for a cushy seat, a drink of water in a fancy glass 30 minutes before the rest of the passengers and an upgraded meal?  But, our agent rocked it and got us a flight on United Airlines!  We will leave Kiev at 5:55 am Thursday Morning, January 3, 2013 (which will be 10:55pm EST Wednesday Night) and we will land at RDU at 6:16 pm EST (which will be 1:15 am Kiev time) - total travel time = 20 hours!  Today I also took the kids to a movie theatre here in Kiev and we watched "Three Heros and a Talking Horse".  It is a Russian Animated Film.  Before that, we ate at............well, for some of you reading, you may just want to stop reading here and move on...............Oooooookay, I warned you!!  We ate at.....shhhhhhh..... McD's!!  I despise McD's but for some strange reason, it doesn't seem that bad when you are in a foreign country!  I assure you, that will probably be my last McD's trip.....maybe ever.  

This was a three story movie theatre and this was the view overlooking the second story where you purchase popcorn and snacks and then head to the movie theatres to the left

This was the ceiling inside the theatre - it was a beautiful theatre!!

Inside the theatre - this is looking at the wall to the left

Beautiful detailing in this theatre!

 Thanks for following our story, for praying for us and meeting us at the airport.  I know the kids will be absolutely blessed and excited when they see all of the people waiting at the airport for them!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment