Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Update on Lidiya's visit and my mission trip

Well, things have been very interesting around here, to say the least!  We have learned a lot about Lidiya, about her life back in the Ukraine, about her likes, about her dislikes, etc, etc.

Some of her likes:

  • Ice cream (yes, this is purposely at the top of the list)
  • French fries (yes, this is purposely the 2nd on the list...it fought for 1st and lost but not by much!)
  • Bananas (she would eat 2 or 3 a day, if I let her)
  • Peaches
  • Strawberries
  • Watermelon (seeing a pattern here?)
  • Swimming
  • Reading
  • Movies
Some of her dislikes:
  • Black Olives
  • Onions (but she does like red onions...I do not understand this)
  • Peas (I learned this the hard way when I put extra peas in my chicken pot pie because I did not have any carrots!)
  • Lima beans
  • Vacuuming (she is a great helper!!  But she will not vacuum!  LOL)
  • Being tickled
  • Being aggravated (she can dish it out but she definitely can not take it!)
  • Cartoons
Things she said she didn't like but ended up liking after trying:
  • Bacon
  • Tacos
  • Sushi
She is very good about trying new things.  I wish I was but my palette is not very adventurous at all!!  I'm starting to think I might lose some weight while in the Ukraine.  But everyone says the food is fabulous...I sure hope so!

We are having some struggles with behavior issues with Lidiya.  Mostly just her wanting her way and not being flexible to listen and obey.  It is hard to try and explain something to someone when they are not behaving and can't speak English.  Also, she is bonding with us in regards to having a good time, laughing and joking, playing and goofing around but she is struggling with allowing us to show her affection.  When trying to give her hugs, she is very reserved.  She will put her head on Danny's shoulder when she is tired or bored but that is about the length of any type of affection.  She is a protector, though.  If she thinks you are in harms way, she quickly alerts you.  She also always wants to make sure we have everything.  She will ask if I have my purse, keys, etc.  These are all behaviors that I am certain are survival for her.  She is in definitely in survival mode and can hold her own!

About my mission trip:

I will be leaving Raleigh on Aug 31 at 3:30 pm and arriving in Kiev on Sept 1 at 2:20 pm.  Then, there is a 12 hour ride by vehicle or train to the town where we will be visiting the Orphanages.  Total flying time is 12 hours, total travel time is about 28 hours.  I'm thinking I might be exhausted.  LOL  But the Lord will give me the energy I need in order to do work for His Kingdom and His Children!

We will be leaving Kiev on Sept 14 and flying into Amsterdam.  We will be staying overnight in Amsterdam.  We won't even arrive until 7:25 pm but I will have to make sure we find some time to get out and see a little bit of Amsterdam!  Then, we leave Amsterdam on Sept 15 at 11:05 am and I will be arriving in Raleigh at 5:44 pm after a layover in Atlanta.  Total flying time is 16 hours.  Weird how there is 4 more hours of flying time coming home than going there.  But that's OK because it is broken down into 2 days, so that makes it a little easier.

Seeing my itinerary makes this trip seem all that much more real.  I keep saying to myself, "wow - I am really going".  I know to some of you reading, I am over reacting but I really have never done anything like this before.  OK - I was in the Army and I went to Korea but for some reason, that just seemed so insignificant in comparison.  I have no idea why.  

But I am very excited and can not wait to do the Lord's work and see what He has in store for me.  

1 comment:

  1. I will be in prayer for your safe travels and for God to use you in every way possible!

    ReplyDelete