Monday, November 15, 2010

Discouragement after discouragement and we've barely even started!

Wow - the emotional roller coaster that I have been on in the past two weeks is unbelievable!  We've barely started this process and we've already encountered obstacle after obstacle!  I have to remind myself about James 1:2:

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know the testing of your faith develops perseverance.

I have talked to six adoption agencies.  Yes, just in the past week, I have spoken to six agencies!!  Here's a breakdown of those six agencies (without naming them):

Agency #1:  The gentleman I spoke with gave me three different answers to the same question that I asked, depending on how I asked it and when I asked it.  He did not seem very trustworthy and I found out he lost his accreditation, so that doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Agency #2:  This agency does not deal with Russia at all.  Why?  Because Russia is too difficult to deal with, the costs are outrageous and the government is very difficult to deal with.  She compared Russia to Ukraine.  Russia requires twice as much paperwork, costs $45-60K whereas Ukraine is $23-25K and you have to make 2-3 trips whereas Ukraine only requires one.  Sigh.

Agency #3:  This agency deals with Russia but does not deal with the region that Sasha's Orphanage is in.  Why?  Because that region is way too difficult to deal with.  Oh my word...is it just me or is this a very sad, recurring theme here???  The children in Russia are living in Orphanages and have no families, just like the children in other parts of the world. 

Agency #4:  This agency doesn't know if they deal with the region in which Sasha's Orphanage is located; however, she is checking with their something or another (I can't remember what she called it) and will get back to me.  Could be a week or more before she is able to get back to me.  Sheesh, I'll just go paint my toenails while I wait!  LOL

Agency #5:  This agency deals with Russia but also does not deal with the region that Sasha's Orphanage is in. I didn't even bother to ask why at this point.

Agency #6:  We finally found an agency that deals with Russia AND deals with the agency in which Sasha's Orphanage is located!  Yeah!  Right?  Wrong!!  

We now need to find out if Sasha is even eligible for adoption.  The adoption agency doesn't have any way of knowing and referred us back to New Horizon's for Children (where we are hosting Sasha through).  However, New Horizon's for Children is not an adoption agency, so they would have no way of knowing and that is why they referred us to an adoption agency.  So, the adoption agency stated that the only way they could (or would) find out if Sasha is eligible for adoption is if we become their client.  Well, in order to become a client, we have to start paying fees.  Paying fees just to find out if he is even adoptable!  Yikes!

So, as James says, we must count it all joy when we face trials of many kinds.  Not "if" we face trials but "when".  To count it all joy, means that we must be joyful in our trials, not necessarily joyful for our trials.  I am joyful because I know that the trials we are facing to give this child a family that he doesn't have will only make me stronger. It is drawing me closer to Him and when I draw near to Him, He will draw near to me (James 4:8).  It is building my character and developing my perseverance; which will make me mature and complete.  

Please pray for us that God's Will be done in this situation.  If we are mistaken and this is not the Lord's Will, then we pray he will slam the doors shut.    However, we have received countless confirmations that we are on the right path, so we just pray that we won't allow the discouragements to get us down while we are trying to obey the Lord.  We don't want to act out of our flesh or allow the world to tell us "no"...the only one we want to hear tell us "no" is the Lord Himself.  We pray that we have the heart and wisdom to discern the difference.  

If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.  James 1:5

5 comments:

  1. Praying for God's will! God can move mountains and raise the dead...an adoption agency is nothing for Him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fasten your seatbelts! As I have been reading in Adopted for Life, this is spiritual warfare! I'm praying for you guys! Can you send me a message with the agencies you are using? I wonder if the one I am using is one of the ones you've already talked to...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will pray for you April! Praise GOD that His word teaches us and strengthens us...and we have it to hold on to while "riding the roller coaster!" What an amazing journey you are on... and, no matter what, God will get the glory! He will give you the strength and stamina that you need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://allarepreciousinhissight.blogspot.com/

    I thought I'd send you this link. This is the blog of a family who has adopted internationally several times. They have adopted children from Columbia, Haiti, and Serbia. She is a HUGE proponent of international adoption. They have not dealt with Russia that I know of, but she has so many contacts and resources I thought I'd pass this along. They are a wonderful Christian family in Texas. I will pray for your family and Sasha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. (Sorry, my AIM nickname is the only one I could use to "sign in" since I couldn't just put my name. The above post is from Susan Baker, whose kids are at CCS.)

    ReplyDelete