Friday, December 24, 2010

It was so very surreal and very emotionally draining

Since Sasha didn't come for Christmas and there really haven't been any updates, there hasn't been anything to write about.  Until Now. 

Wednesday, we hosted one of the Ukraine Chaperones for the day and it was a blast!  His name is Alecks and we had a great time showing him around.  Coby and I took him to the NC History Museum.  Our plan was to take him to the Science Museum but when I pointed out the History Museum, he made it clear that he wanted to go there instead!  He definitely knows what he wants.  While we were in there, Coby had a great time pointing out all of the items and telling Alecks what the name in English is and had him repeat it.  Then, he would tell us the name in Russian and we would repeat it.  When he understood what we were saying, he would say, "I'm understanding".  LOL  I think that is the most fun Coby has had in a long time!

Then, we took him to the Original Krispy Kreme Shop.  We showed him where they made the doughnuts (Ponchiki in Russian) and he watched.  Then, he enjoyed an original glazed doughnut.  And he said, "Ponchiki good.  Very good!" and gave a thumbs up! 

Then, we came home and had supper.  I made roast with carrots, potatoes and gravy.  He asked if we had bread, so we broke out the bread and had bread with our meal.  He made up his plate and then I handed him the gravy.  He said, "Soup?"  I said, "No" and translated gravy for him.  He said, "I'm understanding" and then picked up the gravy bowl and sipped it.  Haha!  Then, he took his plate and the gravy bowl and sat down, putting the gravy next to his plate.  After I made up my plate, I walked over to the gravy and poured it over my meat and potatoes.  He looked at me and said, "Ohhhhh...soooo sorry!  Soooo sorry!!" while hitting himself on the head.  He felt so bad because he thought that was his soup and that is why he sipped it.  It was hilarious!!  We just laughed and laughed. 

After supper, we went to Meadow Lights out in Benson.  It was about an hour drive there, and since we really weren't sure how to communicate the long drive to him, I am sure he was wondering where in the world we were going!  We rode the train and looked at the lights.  He really enjoyed that!  He took so many pictures!  A few times, he tried to lean back to get a better picture and I thought for sure he was going to fall out of the train! 

After that, we went to the old time candy store and had some candy.  I typed in Google Translate, "pick something out.  I buy".  He said, "Oh, thank you."  But then he pointed to me and said, "I buy you!"  I said, "No, no...I buy for you!"  He finally agreed.  But later I found out that he doesn't like American Candy.  No wonder he said he would buy for me!  Haha!

Anyhow....that was the end of our day and I took him back to his host family.  We had a great day but I have to admit that emotionally....it was a very, very hard day!!  The entire day, I kept thinking to myself, "I should be taking Sasha to the history museum" and "I should be translating to Sasha what a military weapon is" and "I should be buying American candy for Sasha".  ~Sigh~  Although it was a wonderful experience and I wouldn't trade it for anything........well, except maybe for Sasha.  :)

2 comments:

  1. So fun to read about your time with him! Wishing for you that it was Sasha...maybe soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a good day. When I was in high school, my family took a Russian chaperon/translator to dinner. She wouldn't order anything with mushrooms in it, because she told us she only eats the ones she picks herself. She didn't trust them from anywhere else. Praying for you and for Sasha! G.

    ReplyDelete